Wowee, six months goes by fast! We've been busy, both on the farm and in the studio. I guess we'll start this post from where we finished with the last one.
Once the kiln was finished, it was time to make some pots! We had no idea how many pots the kiln would hold or how the clays and glazes would turn out. It was a real gamble. We had to decide what kind of forms we had to have in this first firing, from a selling view point and from our own point of view as artists.
Even Dakota came out to the studio to throw some pots for the kiln.
Once harvest was done, it was time to set a deadline. I wanted to fire the kiln before winter really set in. A little snow wouldn't stop us. We needed to split and stack wood, clean and wash kiln shelves and bisque fire and glaze and slip our pots. I hoped we had enough wood and enough pots.
So after two days of splitting wood and three days glazing and slipping the pots, we spent a day and a half loading the kiln. Now we would find out if we had enough pots. We have to wad every pot to keep them from sticking to the shelves with ash and salt. That became tricky as the temperature dropped because the wadding started to freeze.
The firing started at 4 am Saturday and finished twenty four hours later. I had a few hours on my own at the start of the firing to figure a few things out. Get a draft going in the chimney, muck with the pyrometer, see how much wood to stoke with, stuff like that.
We are so lucky to have such supportive friends and family. My mother in law came from Saskatchewan to help with the boys when we were loading the kiln. My mom and dad watched one of the boys and our great friend Andrea watched the other while we fired the kiln. And my best buds Jeff and Jeffrey came and stoked and split wood and sprayed salt right til the very end. It was all very much appreciated. Plus both of the guys are awesome photographers so we have some excellent pictures of the firing.
You know it's been just about two months since we fired the kiln and I'm still digesting and processing the experience. The idea of the wood kiln had been just that, an idea, for so long. But after the last two years dismantling, moving and rebuilding the kiln, finally firing it felt like a real culmination of a lot of things. A finish line. It was but it isn't. Now there is a solid starting line for our future work. We have an idea of what we can get out of the kiln, what works, what doesn't and what we can change. I look at the work from the first firing and the gears start turning about what's next. Very exciting. Plus the guys are wondering when they get to fire the kiln next.
Here's some before and after shots of pots in the kiln and some shots of some of the best to come out of firing numero uno.
Here on Reid Road we have two perfectly good electric kilns. Adequate, modern, plug in, turn on, get a snack. We fire the pottery we make to "cone 6" or mid-fire (the most common form of pottery for home use). This was working well, it was nearly fool proof, and I was becoming more and more comfortable with our technique and materials. So then hubby gets an itch, a longing starts to grow... things around here are too modern, too easy, it's like we're livin' in the matrix! Microwave cooking, gas powered vehicles stinkin' up the countryside! We need to put the brakes on! His beefy limbs are beginning to rust just turning dials. He sniffed the air and before we knew it we were scouring the countryside gathering bricks fom Field B.C. to someplace up north??? we hauled the cattle trailer full of bricks, trip after trip. Brick by brick loaded into the trailer and back out into the barn. Luckily last summer we had volunteers (thanks Jeff!), who seemed to find brick lifting a neat way to spend their day!
Now I venture into telling you what this kiln (clay oven) will do. Instead of making pots, loading the kiln, turning the dial and going home to bed, we will: make pots, haul dead wood from around the farm, saw, chop and split wood, pile wood near kiln, load kiln with pots, seperate pots from each other by placing tiny balls of material called wadding on the feet and rims of each pot (because in the wood/salt atmosphere the pots would weld to the shelves/pots nearby), lower enormous, heavy lid onto kiln, start fire, build fire slowly, stoke fire, constantly watch fire, peek into flaming holes to check temperature measuring cones, at appropriate times throw bundles of salt or salt/soda mix into holes in kiln, continue to stoke fire for 12 to 40 hours, stay awake the entire time, trust no one, lather, rinse, repeat, when finished let cool for 5 days to see final results which will always be COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE. The adventure is just beginning!